• 2nd Highest incorporated town east of the Mississippi River at 4,118 feet
• One of the few temperate rainforests in North America
• Year Round population on Highlands Plateau 3,200 swelling to over 18,000 in the summer
• Salamander capital of the world
• Lichen capital of the world
• Median home price in 2018 was $548,000
• Population has grown 28% since 2010
• Median age is 56.7
• Average people per household is 2.1
• 58.9% of population have a four year degree or higher
• Median income $54,850**
• Profile of new home buyer is mid 40s professional within an 8 hour drive radius of Highlands who tends to come 14-18 weekends a year.
** Data collected from US Census which does not calculate the effect of the second home owners in population, median income, education, etc.
Healthcare – Highlands-Cashiers Hospital
Educational Institutions - Highlands School( K-12); Summit Charter School(K – 10); Southwestern Community College; Western Carolina University