About The Chamber
Photo by Mark W. Hutchison © 2006
The Highlands Chamber of Commerce was formed in 1931 to be the voice of business on the Highlands? plateau and the surrounding area. It currently operates out of the Partridge-Rice House on Main Street next to the Main Street Inn. It also houses and operates the Highlands Visitor Center.
The Chamber is governed by a Board of Directors that is elected from the membership. There are nine directors with three elected annually for a three year term. The Board hires a Executive Director to manage the daily operations of the Chamber. Bob Kieltyka is the Executive Director, and Jennifer Smathers is Director of the Visitor Center.
The Chamber and Visitor Center offers a full slate of membership services (See benefits section) as well as managing the tourism events including the Chili Cook-off, the Fourth of July festivities and fireworks, Downtown Trick or Treating, the Town Lighting, and the Christmas Parade. They serve visitor needs with brochures, maps, reservations, and advice. Information packets are also sent to those requesting information through e-mails, phone calls, and various ads placed by the Visitor Center in major publications.